St Mary’s Merredin invite community to celebrate 90th anniversary
09 November 2017
St Mary’s School Merredin recently celebrated their 90th anniversary, with parents and the wider community joining students and staff, past and present, for the festivities.
A Saturday full of celebrations began with the school’s Family Fun Fair, with a range of activities organised and market stalls.
Merredin Parish Priest, Father Andrew, blessed the Mother Mary sculpture, mosaic cross and the school’s new engraved pavers, before the school and local choir performed for those attending.
Guests, including one past student who attended in 1934 and families with long histories with the school, were then invited to the school hall to catch up and reminisce while taking a look through the memorabilia on display.
The celebrations wrapped up with a dinner at Cummins Theatre, with six guest speakers reflecting on their time at St Mary’s and sharing their memories of the school community.
St Mary’s was originally known as St Joseph’s school, from foundation by the Sisters of St Joseph of the Sacred Heart in 1927, through to 1973, when it was renamed in line with the name of the Parish.